Barley and Kale Topped With Egg
photo by WildLightning
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- Fry bacon in a 3qt sauce pan, remove and crumble into a bowl when cooked thorugh and crumbly.
- In the same pan that you cooked the bacon, cook the onions, mushrooms and minced garlic in the bacon grease until soft, 5-10 minutes. Remove and add to the bowl with the crumbly bacon. Set aside in the refrigerator for later.
- In the same pan, add the barley and toast for approximately 1 minute.
- Add the water and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Cook barley until soft, 45-60 minutes.
- Turn the stove top off, but do not remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the bacon and onion mixture, then add the kale and lemon juice.
- While the kale is slightly wilting, fry up the eggs in a 12 inch skillet.
- Serve each portion of the barley and kale, topping with fresh parmesan cheese and a fried egg on each.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a born and raised city girl who moved to a small town, and love it! I now live in Lexington KY, and I am trying to adjust back to the larger town feel. One good thing...more restaurants! I love to cook, and learned from my father, who passed away 4 years ago. He cooked by throwing things together, and it always tasted great. I love to experiment in the kitchen, and am thrilled when my husband calls me a good cook. Really, I just love to do it!