photo by maryjjohnson34
- Ready In:
- 1 liter all-purpose flour
- 25 ml baking powder
- 5 ml sugar
- 2 ml salt
- 2 ml bacon fat or 2 ml lard
- 500 ml water or 500 ml milk
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- In a medium cast-iron frying pan, melt the fat and add water or milk, combining them.
- Pour the water (or milk) and fat into the flour mixture and mix thoroughly with a fork. If the dough is too dry, add more liquid.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface on the kitchen counter. Knead it for at least 3 minutes until it feels firm and the fat is evenly blended.
- Transfer the dough to the frying pan and pat it out to about 2 cm (3/4”) thickness. Poke it all over with a fork.
- Place the frying pan in the oven and bake the bannock at 180°C (350°F) for 45 minutes to an hour, until it is golden brown. Serve hot. Spread with butter or strawberry jam and eat warm.
- Tips: You can also divide the dough into five portions, stretch over a long thin stick and cook over a grill or campfire. Cook until bread is brown and cooked through. Sprinkle with sugar for a sweet treat, or top with cheddar for a cheesy version.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!