Baked Pumpkin Donuts
photo by Jonathan Melendez
- Ready In:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 -4 teaspoons milk
- FOR DOUGHNUTS: In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and baking soda. Add pumpkin, eggs, milk, and shortening, butter, or margarine; beat with an electric mixer on low speed till mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip with a 1/2 inch opening. Pipe onto 2 greased baking sheets in 3-inch circles. Bake in a preheated 375* oven for 10 minutes, or till golden brown. Cool doughnuts on a rack over waxed paper.
- FOR ICING: In a small mixing bowl stir together powdered sugar and vanilla. Stir in enough milk to make a smooth icing of glazing consistency. Spoon icing over doughnuts.
These were very tasty, but not exactly like donuts, hence the 4 star rating. But on flavor they were a 5! I used half whole wheat and half white flours, and I used a baggie and snipped the corner off to make the donuts. Fairly quick and easy and much healthier than the alternative. My children loved them and I ended up having to make a second batch right away. Thanks for the recipe!