Baked Chicken That Makes Its Own Gravy
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A long time family favorite, and the gravy is wonderful!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 3 -4 lbs chicken pieces
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup Velveeta cheese, cubed very small (more if desired) or 1 cup colby cheese, grated (more if desired)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional) or 2 -3 fresh minced garlic cloves (optional)
- 1 cup whole white pearl onion, drained
- 1 -2 cup sliced mushrooms
- paprika, to sprinkle
- Set oven to 425 degrees F.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Coat the chicken lightly and evenly in the flour.
- Melt the butter, and spread evenly in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Arrange the chicken in a single layer with skins down in prepared baking dish in the melted butter.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven.
- Reduce the temperature to 325 degrees.
- Pour off any excess fat.
- Add in the onions and mushrooms to the chicken in the baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the soup, evaporated milk, cheese, Parmesan cheese (if using) salt and pepper, cayenne (if using), and garlic powder or fresh garlic (if using).
- Pour the mixture over the chicken.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Continue to bake for 15-20 minutes longer.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I can't imagine this recipe getting bad reviews. I guess some people know how to follow a recipe and some don't, because this recipe is extremely delicious as written! I made with Velveeta cheese, parmesan cheese, and left out the cayenne pepper (personal preference). I used 2 minced garlic cloves in mine too. I used 2 c. sliced mushrooms as we love them so much. I made buttered noodles to go with this and poured the gravy over my noodles. Perfection! Thanks Kitten! BeckyReply
see 6 more