Bahamian Peas and Rice
Various versions of this dish are made throughout the Caribbean. You could easily make this a vegetarian dish by omitting the bacon. 1 teaspoon dried basil and 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme may be substituted for the fresh herbs. From the Barbecue Bible.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/4 inch slivers
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 leaves fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 5 1⁄2 cups water (or more)
- 3 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 2 cups black-eyed peas or 2 cups kidney beans
- Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, basil, thyme, salt and pepper, and cook until the onion is golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and sugar and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice and lime juice and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and cook 15 minutes.
- If the rice is too dry, add 2-3 tablespoons water. If too wet, leave cover ajar for remaining cooking time.
- Stir in peas. Cook until rice is tender, about 3 minutes more.
- Remove pot from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with fork and correct seasoning if needed.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Ya mon, this was very good! Garnished this with cilantro and used yellow bell pepper as that is what I had. I like the bacon in this. I served ours with Recipe#166284, Recipe#336894, and Recipe#170586. Never had black eyed peas before and will definitely work with them again. Thank you for sharing this Chocolatl. Made while "cruising" the Caribbean during ZWT5 for the Chow Hounds.Reply
This was a great lunch recipe! I left out the bacon and for the beans I added some left overs of Recipe #138026. I also didn't have lime or green bell pepper so I added lemon and some green beans I also added some turmeric about a 1/2 teaspoon, and a couple arbol chilis. Next time I will add less of the chillies, I made it a little too hot for my own taste!! :) It was great though, I garnished it with cilantro which really complimented the dish. I will use this recipe again! Thank you for posting. Made for ZWT5Reply