Samantha's Spam-Tastic Black-Eyed Peas and Rice
How can you go wrong?
- Ready In:
- bacon grease
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black-eyed peas
- 1 (12 ounce) can Spam
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 cups water
- half a medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- cajun seasoning
- Heat up some bacon grease in a pot, add the diced onion and garlic, cover and saute slowly on low heat.
- While your onion is cooking, cut the Spam into bite-sized pieces, then add those pieces to the pot. Continue to cook on low heat for about ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans, water and rice, and finally, your cajun seasonings (to taste), bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until rice is done.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Yum! I wasn't sure about this one, as I'm not big into black eyed peas, but I had cooked and frozen a bunch of field peas, which are close, so I tried this one. Used one whole minced clove of elephant garlic, but that was my only real change. This was great with some Frank's Redhot over the top. Thanks for sharing.Reply
I made this recipe on 3/7/10 for the "Sides" event in the Food Photo forum and most importantly for mine and my SO's dinner.The only black-eyed peas that I had were frozen,so I coooked those seperate for about about 20 minutes then procceded with recipe as it was written.For the seasoning, about 1 1/2 teaspoons of Creole seasoning was used.The cooking time was "right on the money". We both thought the taste was very good in fact it was good enough to be made again.And as you said " Bacon grease and Spam, How can you go wrong ? " You can't.:)Thanks for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "Reply
see 4 more