Bahama Mama Chicken Marinade
This chicken has the wonderful flavors of lime juice, rum, onions, garlic, and island spices - plus a little bite of hot peppers. Adjust the heat to your liking, and either grill or oven-bake the chicken - it's delicious either way. Prep time includes marinating. Cook time is approximate for marinade only, not chicken itself.
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 20mins
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum (I like Myers)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- In olive oil, saute onion, garlic, green onion, chilis, spices and herbs for about 7 minutes, until deep golden brown, stirring often.
- Stir in salt, rum and lime juice.
- Raise the heat, then lower and simmer until all liquid is absorbed.
- Let mixture cool, then place chicken in a glass dish and rub marinade all over it.
- Cover and let marinate in refrigerator overnight (or at least 4 hours).
- Turn chicken halfway through the marinating time.
- Grill or bake chicken as desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Wow! What a great marinade! I was looking for a tropical tasting marinade for an "Island Party" and instantly fell in love with this one after reading through the ingredients list. I ended up quadrupling it since I had 12 lbs of chicken and it worked out excellent! I cubed my chicken breasts, applied the marinade, and let it sit for about 4 hours, and then skewered them onto bamboo skewers with red bell pepper, fresh pineapple, and red onion. My dear hubby then grilled all of it and my oh my was it fabulous! The chicken was incredibly moist and had sweet spicy flavor. Absolutely delicious recipe... this will definitely be a keeper!1Reply
This was a great marinade for chicken. The spices really stood out and yet you could taste the hint of lime and rum as well. We grilled ours on the foreman and it turned out perfectly cooked. We followed everything to a T except we only used a little over a lb and half of chicken and made the entire marinade.Reply