Baba Ganouy( Baba Ghanoush/ Baba Gannoujh )
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- First off, buy only shiny eggplants-dull ones are old.
- Cut off the stem ends of eggplants and prick them like you would a spud for baking.
- Place on the middle rack in oven and bake at 250 degrees for about 1 hour.
- They should look quite pooped out.
- Using mitts remove and cool to touch.
- Cut open and scoop out-toss the peel.
- Place in a food processor with all the ingredients except oil.
- Whirl away-until smooth.
- Taste and adjust-remember the pepper and garlic will get stronger.
- Place in a serving dish and cover with oil if not serving right away.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Really good - popular at get togethers! Looks like the version in the original Moosewood Cookbook. I have made this at least a dozen times as written but with just 1-3 garlic cloves. I like the Chinese eggplants the best as I find them milder and the seeds seem smaller. I love the scallion in this, too. Sometimes I add a cup or so of plain yogurt. I like to serve this with raw veggies and pita bread. Great recipe, thank you for posting, DiB's. I'll be making it again and again to the thrill of my friends and family.
Absolutely delicious! This was my first stab at making Baba Ghanoush, and I found that it was easier than I imagined. I halved the recipe and omitted the scallions (they had gone bad). I served it with falafel, yellow rice, and veggies for a lovely dinner. My husband really liked it too. I will definitely make this again.