Award Winning Green Tomato Mincemeat
photo by YummySmellsca
- Ready In:
- 1hr 55mins
- 650 g green tomatoes, chopped
- 1 kg granny smith apple, half-peeled and diced
- 250 g thompson seedless grapes
- 100 g shredded carrots
- 165 g chopped dried pears
- 1⁄2 cup candied orange peel
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves (omit if freezing, stir in once thawed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and cook, partially covered, 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Can according to water bath canner instructions.
- Alternatively, freeze: pack cold mincemeat into freezer jars or containers, leaving about an inch headspace for expansion. Seal and freeze promptly.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Montessori teacher, nutritionist and pastry chef: baking is my passion, but teaching the value of good food to whole families is close to my heart too! I have a passion for re-instilling the love of good-quality, home-made and mostly healthy food into the hearts and kitchens of children and their families today. I believe that any ?homemade? food, even when labelled as naughty, is a more wholesome treat than pre-packaged, cookie-cutter junk.</p> 9408826"