Asian Inspired Chili
A change of pace for you chili lovers. This is something I've developed over the years as a way to use up hoisin sauce. Can be made in crock pot...just throw everything in and cook on low for 6 hours. This makes very thick chili, if you like it thinner, just add water or broth.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef, browned (can sub turkey or even chicken if desired)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons thai style chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute or 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- Sautee onions, red pepper and garlic in sesame oil until tender (about 5 min).
- Add remaining ingredients,bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Made this for a chili cook off at church...it was well received. I used half rooster sauce and half spicy Thai chili sauce. I finely chopped the ginger and cooked that with the onions, scallions and peppers. I used a little more tomato sauce to thin it at the end and splashed a little more soy sauce and rooster sauce in. Served with chopped scallions. Will keep this recipe!
Hubby is anti-fusion and I am a little apprehensive. So why did I try this? Well, wanted to make a chili, had 1 lb of ground chicken in the freezer that "needed" attention and thought, why not? In the worst case scenario it would end up somewhere else than in our stomachs. Made it exactly as stated and it smelled fantastic while cooking. Hubby could hardly wait to taste although he had his doubts. Finally, tasting time. I say tasting, but I had to drag him away from the pot otherwise he would have eaten his dinner there and then. It is truly outstanding! Who would have thought that these spices would go so well together. Thumbs up for a great recipe that certainly will be made again. Thanks for posting.