Arugula and Bacon Quiche
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 40mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, chopped
- 8 ounces arugula, stems trimmed, leaves coarsely chopped (about 5 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup gruyere cheese, grated (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- For crust: Blend flour and salt in processor. Add butter and shortening. Using on/off turns, process until mixture resembles coarse meal. Mix in enough ice water to form moist clumps. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic and chill until dough is firm enough to roll out, about 30 minutes. Roll out dough on floured surface to 12-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom. Trim dough overhang to 1 inch. Fold overhang in and press, forming double-thick high-standing sides. Pierce crust all over with fork. Freeze crust 30 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and keep frozen.).
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F Bake crust until golden brown, piercing with fork if crust bubbles, about 20 minutes. Transfer crust to rack. Reduce temperature to 375°F.
- For filling: Cook bacon in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels and drain. Add shallots to same skillet and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes. Add arugula and sauté until just wilted, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add balsamic vinegar; toss to combine.
- Sprinkle arugula mixture, then bacon over crust. Whisk cream, eggs, salt and pepper in large bowl to blend. Stir in cheese. Pour mixture into crust.
- Bake quiche until filling is slightly puffed and golden, about 35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into wedges.