Apple Bacon Gouda Quiche
photo by Natalie T.
- Ready In:
- 3 large free-range organic eggs
- 3⁄4 liquid measuring cup organic half-and-half
- 1 cup chopped aged gouda cheese
- 3 slices thick bacon, cooked and minced
- 1 medium crisp baking apples, such as Jazz, Braeburn or 1 medium gala crisp baking apple
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- generous pinch salt
- generous grind black pepper
- 1 quiche pastry dough or 1 pie crust
- Line a glass pie plate or glass cake pan with crust, crimping top to edges of pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 ° Fahrenheit.
- Halve, core, and peel apple, then mince and scatter in bottom of pie plate.
- Top with minced bacon and chopped Gouda cheese.
- Whisk eggs in mixing bowl with half and half, then stir in nutmeg, salt and pepper. I recommend using a whole nutmeg with microplane grater, grating enough to dust the custard mixture lightly.
- Pour custard mixture into pie plate and shake the plate a little to even it out and tap any ingredients that poke up under the wet custard mix.
- When oven is properly hot, place pie plate on a supporting pan and into oven on a middle shelf.
- Bake for 35 minutes, then check doneness with a butter knife to see if custard is firm. If it needs more time, go in 5 minute intervals, covering the crust if it browns excessively.
- Allow to sit undisturbed out of the oven for 20 minutes before slicing.
- Serve warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a longtime member since 2002. While I have many recipes here, most of my current recipes are on my food blog at palatablepastime.com I may occasionally post something extra I have here. If you have questions, you can always contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org