Ancho Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Ready In:
- 6 (6 inch) flour tortillas
- cooking spray
- 2 large ancho chilies, seeded and stemmed
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 ears corn on the cob, husked, kernels removed or 1 cup frozen corn kernels, defrosted
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sweet smoked paprika
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 rotisserie-cooked chicken, skinned and shredded
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 -2 cup water
- 2 limes
- 2 Hass avocadoes (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- cilantro leaf (optional)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice the tortillas into 1/2-inch strips and scatter on large baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray and bake until golden and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and reserve.
- While the tortillas crisp, add the ancho chiles and the chicken stock to a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the chiles are tender.
- Remove from the heat to cool.
- While the anchos simmer, heat a soup pot with vegetable oil over high heat.
- Add the corn and saute until charred at the edges, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat a little, add the onions, jalapeno, red chile pepper and garlic.
- Season with cumin and smoked paprika.
- Saute for 5 minutes, then stir in the tomatoes.
- Puree the anchos and the stock in a food processor, then add it to the soup pot.
- Stir in the shredded chicken and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Thin the soup with 1 or 2 cups of water and simmer over low heat to combine flavors, about 5 minutes.
- Zest and juice 1 lime and add to the soup pot.
- Top with crispy tortilla strips.
- Garnish with avocado, sour cream, and cilantro if you wish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!