Aloo Tamatar Sabzi
photo by Leggy Peggy
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon high-heat vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (optional)
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes or 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 medium potatoes, boiled peeled cut 1 inch dice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, rough chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the cumin, mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds, if using. Let splutter (about 30 seconds to 1 minute).
- Add tomatoes or tomato sauce and cook for 2 minutes until tomatoes are soft. Add turmeric and potatoes. Mix well. Then add salt, coriander and cayenne pepper, if using.
- Add water, cover and let simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with cilantro, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I've just spent 6 weeks in India and this recipe brings back some wonderful memories. The spice level is perfect and the dish is so easy to make. I wanted a slightly drier result, so used only 1 1/2 cups of water, and replaced the cayenne with two small chopped green chillies that needed to be used, but followed everything else. Will make and enjoy often. Thanks for posting.