Almond Legend Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 49mins
- 1 (2 1/2 ounce) package slivered almonds, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 whole almond
- 1⁄2 cup apricot preserves
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- Sprinkle chopped almonds into a well-greased 10-inch Bundt pan; set aside.
- Cream butter and shortening; gradually add 1/2 cup each sugar and Splenda, beating well at medium speed of an electric mixer. Add egg yolks, and beat well. Add lemon rind, juice, and flavorings; beat well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix after each addition; set batter aside.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form; fold egg white mixture into batter. Pour batter into prepared pan. Press whole almond just below surface of batter.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire 10-inch cake.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Sorry Food.com, you keep changing the site, and it is just not easy to use. I'm off to Pepperplate.</p>