A garlicky braised winter squash dish that could be served as a vegetarian main course or a side. From the book "Greene on Greens" by Bert Greene. Easy to make vegan by subbing margarine or oil for the butter.
- In a large, heavy saucpan, melt 1 Tbs of the butter over low heat.
- Add the wine and garlic.
- Cook, covered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- The garlic should turn golden-brown, but should not burn.
- Mash the garlic with a fork.
- Add the remaining 2 Tbs butter and the squash.
- Gently mix to coat.
- Cook, covered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the squash is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with the parsley just before serving.
- Serve hot.