Recipe by Caryn Gale
Looks pretty, diet and lo-carb and tastes great.
Top Review by ratherbeswimmin'
Kugel is a new dish for me. Guess I have been living under a rock because I have never even heard of it. I missed the Kugel-a-thon and have just now gotten around to trying one. This was very good and since we love zucchini and tomatoes, I will make it a lot when our garden starts producing. Very simple and easy to make. I used two tablespoons of onion soup mix and that really gave a wonderful flavor. I was so tempted to throw some cheese on top but didn't and stayed true to your recipe. I am glad, because the fresh flavors would have been covered up and not enhanced. Thanks Caryn, for sharing this recipe.
- 4 -6 zucchini
- 2 -3 tomatoes
- 1 -2 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- italian seasoning (basil, oregano, parsley flakes, garlic)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice or chop zucchini and cook in microwave or steam.
- Drain well.
- Partially mash with a masher after it is cooked.
- Add onion soup mix and mix well.
- Add slightly beaten eggs and mayo and mix.
- Pour into a greased pie plate, quiche pan, or pan.
- Slice tomatoes and arrange in a circular ring on top of kugel until covered.
- Sprinkle with Italian seasoning (basil, oregano, parsley, garlic).
- Hint: I always score the top (into 8-10 slices) of this before I bake it since I find it easier to cut through the tomatoes when they are uncooked.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.