If you like crispy, battered zucchini, this is the lowfat alternative for you!! I could not believe it, but they came out crispy!! The egg whites are the secret. The recipe below is straight off the WW website. The flour definitely needs MORE seasoning though - garlic? Cayenne? Salt after they're out of the oven? I will be perfecting this for our family's tastes, but these zukes are going into our regular rotation!! Like I said, if you are looking for a lowfat batter alternative that's is NOT like the "corn flake baked" variety....this is for you!
- Preheat oven to 500ºF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix together Italian seasoning, flour and salt. Place bread crumbs in another small bowl.
- Dredge a zucchini fry in flour mixture and then dip into egg whites; dredge in bread crumbs. Place coated zucchini on prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining ingredients; liberally coat with cooking spray.
- Roast, turning once, until desired crispness, about 10 minutes.
- Serving size: about 8 fries.
- Use this technique with any summer squash or even eggplant. Works great with thick-cut onion rings or even green tomatoes.