Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is a great make-ahead dish. Some call it a charlotte, others a strata. Whatever. It's a great side.
- 2 lbs zucchini, grated
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced scallion
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 4 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 2 cups milk
- 5 slices of bakery white bread (denser than supermarket)
- 10 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 5 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 green chili peppers, minced (tinned are fine)
- In a colander, toss the zucchini with the salt and let drain for 1 hour.
- Squeeze zucchini in batches in a tea towel to remove as much moisture as possible and, in a bowl, toss it with the flour.
- In a small skillet, cook the scallion in 1 tblsp of the butter over medium heat, stirring, until it is softened and let it cool.
- In a bowl, combine well the eggs, milk and scallion.
- Spread 1 slice of each bread slice with the remaining 2 tblsps butter and cut the bread into ½ inch squares.
- Arrange half the bread squares in a deep baking dish and top with half of the zucchini.
- Sprinkle half of the cheeses and spread chilies over.
- Top peppers with remaining bread, zucchini and cheese.
- Pour milk mixture over and let stand, covered, at room temperature for 3 hours, or chilled overnight.
- (let mixture come to room temperature before proceeding with recipe) Preheat oven to 350F (175C).
- Bake for an hour and 10 minutes, or until set and golden-brown.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Oh, this ranks up there with some of my favorite comfort foods. I used a fresh challah instead of white bread and substituted Parmesan cheese for the Cheddar. I left out the chili peppers to make this kid friendly, but added lots of Hungarian paprika, which gave it a great color. I'd like to try this again, but instead of fresh scallions would love to try it with fried onions.