It's from the sopranos cookbook but I use my own Sunday Gravy (Real Italian Spaghetti Sauce)and Meatballs and it is the best food in the world there aren't words to describe it!
- 1 lb ziti pasta, cooked
- pasta sauce
- meatballs (Sunday Gravy (Real Italian Spaghetti Sauce)and Meatballs)
- 1 cup freshly grated romano cheese or 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (I use cottage cheese)
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into small pieces
- grated cheese, to sprinkle on top
- Put all the ziti in a large bowl.
- Toss ziti with 3 cups of the gravy and half of the grated cheese.
- Spoon half of the ziti into a casserole dish.
- Spread the ricotta over the top of the ziti.
- Sprinkle with the mozzarella and rest of grated cheese.
- Pour on 1 cup of sauce.
- Top with remaining ziti and rest of sauce (it will be almost overflowing) sprinkle with more grated cheese.
- Bake covered with foil for 45 minutes and then uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Tell me immediately how it was!
This is our family's recipe for baked ziti, too. Sometimes I also add spinach in with the cheeses, especially if I happen to have some leftover creamed spinach. I always use more sauce than the recipe calls for, it seems the pasta eats it up!
Creamy and delicious. I made with my homemade sauce: Italian Meat Sauce for Pasta or Lasagna which is a meat sauce so omitted the meatballs. I had to guess at the cooking temperature, I cooked at 375 degrees for one hour then uncovered for 15 minutes.
This was delicious! I quartered the recipe (no difficulties encountered) since only 2 were dining! I wish that I could follow the recipe EXACTLY but I have to watch my colesterol - I used my own plain tomato pasta sauce, my own meatballs (made without eggs), light ricotta, low fat mozarella & shredded parmesan on top. Thanx Bri!