Recipe by Stacia_
This quick lunch or dinner includes cumin spiced chicken and veggies served in a pita pocket. Cool off the spicy kick with sour cream or yogurt.
Top Review by Lori Alcorn
I really wanted to try an east indian dish and I'm cleaning out the fridge so needed to use up chicken and chickpeas (garbonzo beans) and this recipe looked easy and yummy, which it was! Didn't make recipe exactly: -didn't have peppers or parsley to add -substituted pita for tortilla because that's all I had -boiled chickpeas for about 5-7 minutes first so they were mushy, just because I know that's how I like them -just added spices to taste because I can't judge heat by measurements But other than that, lol, I made just as instructed and it was so simple and delicious. This is definately a new favorite. I'm a little 'wrap-dyslexic' so I'm definately going to try it with pita next time. I only gave it four stars because I changed it so much.
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 (16 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 6 pita pockets
- nonfat plain yogurt or sour cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cumin and chili powder in a plastic bag. Add chicken and shake to coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring frequently. Take off heat, set aside to cool.
- Combine remaining ingredients, mixing well. Stir in chicken. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut top off pitas to open. Divide chicken mixture among the pitas; top with yogurt or sour cream, if desired.