Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Zatarains was the real thing and boxes of it were found in just about every home in New Orleans. We also like to add 2-3 lemons, quartered, to the water. This is enough for 5lbs shrimp or a dozen blue swimmers.
- 4 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons whole allspice
- 2 tablespoons dill seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 bay leaves
- Combine all ingredients well, crushing slightly. Place all on a muslin or cheesecloth square, gather corners and tie securely.
- When the water for the seafood is boiling add the crab boil sachet along with plenty of salt. Continue boiling until the water takes on color before adding seafood.
Wow! I'd never heard of a crab boil mix until it asked for it in a shrimp cocktail recipe. Who knew this was the real Cajun way to prepare shrimp? Very tasty stuff. Thank you for posting your recipe and saving me a trip to the store.
This is a great blend! Can't get the Zatarain's brand here, and this was just as good! Adding it to my recipe box! Thanks for posting!