From a flier at our local supermarket. Substitute regular couscous for the Israeli if you can't find the latter. Also, if possible, please make your own za'atar for this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, flattened to 1/2-inch thick
- 1/4 cup za'atar spice mix
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or 4 tablespoons grapeseed oil, divided
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (omit for non-alcoholic version)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups israeli couscous
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 orange, peeled and segmented
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, toasted and ground
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (NOT dried)
- whole wheat pita bread
- imported olive
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper then rub the za'atar spice on both sides.
- 3Heat up half the oil in a large sauté pan and sear chicken well, approximately 4-5 minutes per side until browned on each side.
- 4Transfer chicken breasts to oven-proof pan and keep warm. Do not allow the meat to dry out.
- 5Return the skillet to the stove top and add the wine to deglaze; boil 1 minute.
- 6Add the chicken stock and return to boil.
- 7Immediately add the couscous. Cover skillet tightly and remove from heat.
- 8Keep skillet covered 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- 9Meanwhile, in a bowl combine the reserved 2 tablespoons olive oil, orange juice, zest, cumin and cilantro.
- 10Stir into the couscous, tossing in the pine nuts and orange segments. Fluff with a fork.
- 11Season with salt and pepper to taste, if necessary.
- 12Transfer the couscous to a platter and place the chicken breasts on top.
- 13Serve with warm pita bread, tzatziki and imported olives.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Za'atar Chicken With Orange Israeli Couscous
Serving Size: 1 (379 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 662.0
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 77.3 mg
- Sodium 233.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 37.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
za'atar spice mix