Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Found this recipe in Real Simple Magazine. Make a few tweaks to make it work for my family. I usually make a batch a week for breakfast all week. If they last that long.
- 1 1⁄4 whole wheat flour, spooned and leveled
- 3⁄4 cup oat flour (Or use 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats*)
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed meal (or use unleveled 1/4 cup flaxseeds*)
- 1⁄4 cup pecans (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup non-fat blueberry Greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (or one 8-ounce bag frozen blueberries)
- Heat oven to 375* F. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- *In a food processor, process the flours, whole oats, flaxseeds, pecans until finely ground (I skip this extra work by just using flours or meals instead).
- In a small bowl combine Wheat and Oat Flour, flaxseed meal, Peacans, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl whisk together the yogurt, sugar, butter, juice, egg and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and mix until just incorporated (do not overmix). Fold in the blueberries.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick in the center comes out clean, 22-25 minutes. ( I find these don't rise too high, I think it might be the density of the flours, so don't be afraid to pack them in).
- TO MAKE AHEAD: The muffins will keep at room temperature for 3 days and in the freezer for 1 month. Warm in the microwave, 1 to 2 minutes.