Recipe by fresh fanatic
Since this recipe makes a thin-crust pizza, I would recommend making two pizzas. If you're short on time, thaw a frozen 1 pound loaf of whole-wheat bread dough instead of the homemade crust.
Top Review by LUv 2 BaKE
This is our summertime pizza! We've made it about 7 times since June! Delicious. The pesto is a fantastic base of flavour to this pizza. I use less oil - about 1-2 tbsp then add enough water to make 1/3 cup. Instead of the pepperoni we add vegetarian "chicken" strips. I can't say enough about this pizza! A must try. The crust is also fantastic. We now use it for our other pizza recipes. Thanks!
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2⁄3 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3⁄4-1 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed spinach leaves
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaf
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 ounces turkey pepperoni or 2 ounces pepperoni
- 1 -2 thinly sliced plum tomato (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-fat mozzarella cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl combing yeast and warm water. Let stad for 5 minutes. Stir in honey and the 1 tablespoon olive oil. In a large bouwl combine whole wheat flour, cornmeal, and salt. Stir in yeast mixture. Stir in as much all-purpose flour as you can.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6-8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball, cover and let rise until nearly double (30-45 minutes).
- Meanwhile, prepare spinach pesto. In food processor bowl place spinach, basil, garlic, parmesan cheese, the 1/3 cup of olive oil, and lemon juice. Cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Punch down dough, let rest 10 minutes. On a lightly floured surface roll dough to a 12-inch round or a 10-inch square. Transfer to greased baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes or until browned. Top with pesto sauce, pepperoni, tomatoes (if using), and cheese. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until bubbly. Makes 8 servings.