Chef #DBLEE's Note:
Chinese New Year Salad
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb sashimi-grade tuna, fresh
- 3 cups daikon radishes, peeled, finely shredded
- 3 cups carrots, peeled, finely shredded
- 9 slices ginger, thin quarter-sized, slices, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup mee chun preserved ginger in syrup, finely shredded
- 3/8 cup mee chun preserved scallion, in syrup, finely shredded
- 9 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
- 1 Thai red chili pepper, seeded, finely shredded
- 3/4 bu green onion, finely shredded
- 3/4 bu cilantro, leaves only
- 3/8 cup toasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 lime, cut in half, seeded
- crisp fried shrimp chips, for garnish
- toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- 1/4 cup lee kum kee plum sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1Chill fish until firm. Cut into paper thin, 2” long slices against the grain; set aside.
- 2In separate bowls, cover radishes and carrots with cold water; set aside until ready to assemble salad. Then rinse and squeeze out excess water.
- 3Place the plum sauce, honey, lime juice, sesame oil, salt and five spice powder and mix together.
- 4Place fish in center of a platter. Arrange daikon and carrot shreds around fish. Scatter fresh and pickled ginger, pickled scallions, lime leaves, chiles, green onions and cilantro over fish. Sprinkle with peanuts and sesame seeds.
- 5Just before serving pour the dressing over all. It is customary for everyone to join in and toss the salad. Using chopsticks, each diner digs from the bottom of the salad and lifts the ingredients to mix together. When the salad is fully tossed, taste for seasoning.
- 6Garnish with shrimp chips or fried rice stick noodles.
Nutritional Facts for Yu Sang
Serving Size: 1 (126 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 149.4
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 310.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 3.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
preserved ginger in syrup
kaffir lime leaves
Chinese five spice powder