Prep 5 mins
Cook 9 hrs
If you want to try some unusual grains—here is one way to do it.
Make and share this Your Own Blend Overnight Porridge recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup steel cut oats
- 1⁄2 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup millet
- 1⁄2 cup whole-grain barley
- 1⁄3 cup wild rice
- 1⁄4 cup polenta or 1⁄4 cup corn grits
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seed or 3 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 7 cups water
- Add all the ingredients to a slow cooker; stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours or overnight, until tender.
- Stir well and scoop into bowls; serve with milk or cream and brown sugar or maple syrup.
This is certainly hearty! Great change from oatmeal. I think if made with some broth and herbs, it would also be a good savory side dish. I served it with a little butter, cream and sugar. May try it with some cinnamon next time. Thanks for sharing. Made for Sept. Photo Challenge.