Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 mins
Easy to make, and VERY expandable.Want more salad? Buy another chicken or two, or three. Adding more chicken? Expand the amounts of the other ingredients to taste. All of the seasonings are to taste, including salt and pepper. If you can't find pimentos, use a jar of roasted red sweet peppers (they are essentially the same thing). The most time consuming portion of this recipe is removing the store cooked chicken from the bones. Super easy and delicious, for brunch, a casual dinner, a picnic, potluck or an office party. It tastes even better the second day.
- 1 roasted deli chicken (2-3 lbs)
- 2 -3 green onions with tops
- 1 (7 ounce) can water chestnuts, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 (5 ounce) jar pimientos or 1 (5 ounce) jar roasted red peppers
- 3 -4 tablespoons mayonnaise (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon lemon thyme leaves, fresh
- 1 (15 ounce) can chow mein noodles
- Remove chicken meat from the carcass, cutting into bite size pieces and place into a large bowl.
- Toast the sesame seeds in a dry, non-stick frying pan, stirring or shaking pan continuously to keep seeds moving. Remove pan from heat when their color begins to change to golden(they will continue to cook in the pan).
- Drain water chestnuts and slice into sticks(if not already cubed)put into bowl with chicken.
- Drain jar of pimentos or roasted peppers and slice into small pieces, put into bowl with chicken and water chestnuts.
- Wash and slice entire length of green onions. Dice the white ends fine and cut the greens into 1/4 inch widths. Add to bowl with other ingredients.
- Add toasted sesame seeds to bowl with other ingredients.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and lemon thyme (if desired).
- Add enough mayonnaise to hold it together or to your liking.
- Serve garnished with or on top of canned chow mein noodles.