The trick to a fluffy light biscuit is to grate the frozen butter instead of cutting it in with a pastry knife, this method will produce a wonderful fluffy biscuit, that just melts in your mouth. Plan ahead the biscuit dough needs to sit in the fridge for the suggested time before baking, also the recipe does not call for any sugar, although I have never added any sugar, I imagine that sugar may be added if you prefer a sweeter biscuit. Make certain that your butter is completely frozen and is cut in one long piece for easier grating.
- Set the oven to 425 defrees.
- Prepare a non-stick baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients.
- Grate the frozen butter into the flour mixture; add in the yogurt.
- Mix the dough with a wooden spoon (be careful not to over-work the dough) dough should be slightly sticky.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface.
- Spread out the dough with hands to 1-1/2-inch thickness on the board.
- Cut out 2-inch rounds, and place on a unlined non-stick baking sheet/tray.
- Refrigerate for 30-40 minutes (this is an important step, the dough MUST be refrigerated for the suggested time).
- Remove from the fridge; brush the tops with the whipping cream.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Best served warm from the oven.