Prep 35 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Bon Appetit, 10/07, this recipe was included in the Article "My India" by Susan Feniger. Serve with a side of steamed basmati rice. Be sure to let guests know that there are whole cloves in the finished dish
- 3 lbs broiler-fryer chickens (8 pieces)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cardamom, divided
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups raisins (about 12 ounces)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 cups plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1 cup raw cashews (about 5 ounces)
- 10 whole cloves
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Place chicken, skin side up, on rimmed baking sheet. Mix 1 1/2 tablespoons salt, 3 teaspoons cumin, 1 teaspoon cardamom and cayenne in small bowl. Sprinkle chicken generously on all sides with spice mix. Let stand 2 hours.
- Combine 1 cup raisins and 1 1/2 cups hot water in medium bowl. Cover; soak until raisins are soft, at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour. Drain, reserving soaking liquid. Blend raisins and 3 tablespoons reserved soaking liquid in mini processor, adding more soaking liquid, if needed, to make smooth paste.
- Place yogurt in medium bowl; whisk 1 minute to lighten. Add black pepper, cinnamon, remaining 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon cumin and 1/2 teaspoon cardamom and whisk to blend.
- Heat butter in large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add chicken, skin side down, and saute until brown, about 6 minutes per side. Add remaining 1 1/2 cups raisins, cashews and cloves. Slowly stir in yogurt mixture. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 12 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to platter. Whisk raisin paste and 1/3 cup lemon juice into sauce. Simmer to blend, whisking constantly, about 4 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and more lemon juice, if desired. Spoon over chicken.