Here's a different way to serve the sweet potato or yam. The recipe comes from a small cookbook(let) titled Honey Acres Beekeeper's Best Honey Cookbook!
- Peel & coarsely grate yams (should equal about 1 quart).
- Heat shortening in large skillet, then add grated yams.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Add butter & pepper, & continue cooking & stirring until lightly browned.
- Drizzle with honey & stir to blend before serving.
Wonderful change of pace. We really liked these! They were quick, easy and very tasty. Made for breakfast instead of regular hash browns. After reading other reviews shredded the yam and stirred less often then directed. The shredding and less frequent stirring gave the soft hash brown texture. Last change was to cut the honey in half as a matter of personal taste. A keeper with those few changes. Thanks so much for the post.
These had a delicious flavor and cooked so fast! I shredded on the large size and I think this helped them stay "hash-brown-like". Loved the flavor the honey added ~ I threw in a dash of cinnamon too. Thanks Sydney Mike for a great new way to make sweet potatoes. Made for PRMR, March 2009.
I'm giving this recipe 5-Stars for flavor even though the end result didn't wind up looking anything like hash browns. Great vegetarian side dish! This recipe was tagged in the "Veg*n Swap 6 ~ January o9 recipe swap.