Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Looks elegant and NO marshmallows! Flavor full and lower in fat. Try this one on your Thanksgiving table.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large pot, cover the sweet potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Boil until tender.
- Drain and peel the potatoes and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Mash well.
- Add the butter, milk, sherry, brown sugar, orange juice, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and salt.
- Beat well with a mixer.
- Spoon mixture into a buttered, ovenproof gratin dish.
- Bake until the potatoes are hot, about 25 minutes.
- While the soufflé is cooking, make the meringue.
- In a clean bowl, whip egg whites until almost stiff.
- Gradually add the sugar and continue to beat until soft peaks form.
- During the last five minutes of cooking the soufflé, top with the meringue mixture making fancy peaks.
- Return to oven and remove when the meringue is lightly browned.
- Garnish with the sliced oranges.
This is a yam-lover's dream dish! I left out the dry sherry as I did not have any, it was still wonderful, I might cut back on the brown sugar next time, it is very sweet, the meringue took only minutes to brown in my convection oven, I plan on making this for the holidays it's so good, thanks for sharing Laurie!...Kitten:)