Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Mashing broccoli with cheese and potatoes might just be the ticket to getting your kids to eat their veggies. From Eating Well Magazine.
- 1 lb potato, cut into wedges
- 3⁄4 lb broccoli floret, chopped (4 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup shredded Fontina cheese
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk, heated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Bring one inch of water to a boil in a large pot. Place potatoes in a steamer basket and steam for 10 minutes. Place broccoli on top, cover and steam until the potatoes and broccoli are tender, 6 to 8 minutes more.
- Transfer the broccoli to a large bowl and coarsely mash with a potato masher. Add the potatoes, cheese, milk, salt and pepper and continue mashing to desired consistency.
- Serve immediately.
I scaled this back to serve two and we just loved this dish. Interestingly low-fat milk (or cream) seems not to compromise flavour in any way, whereas low-fat cheese (in my opinion) is tasteless. So I was really glad that this recipe used regular cheese! I added a generous pinch of cumin in step two and some garlic salt. Fabulously flavoursome: thanks for sharing this recipe, ~Jen~. Made for Healthy Choices Tag.
I cut this recipe in half for just 2 of us! Also did not peel the potatoes since I like eating the skin! Instead, I steamed both veggies & then diced the potato & broccoli before mashing! The cheese & broccoli gave the potatoes a great flavor! A keeper of a recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC cooking game]
Yay, finally a way to sneak some broccoli into toddler DD, she ate these all up with no questions, I used tasty cheese and a small smidge of butter too.