1/6 Photos of Ww Spicy Mac and Cheese
1 hr 10 mins
My grandaughter (with help from her Daddy) gave me a wonderful cookbook for Christmas called "The Whole Foods Market Cookbook". This is the recipe that my DS recommend to try 1st. It was full of fat so I have made it lower in fat. The original recipe said it served 6 in a 9X9 inch pan. There is so much of this stuff I can't imagine it fitting in that size of pan. I used a 9X13 inch pan and it was full.This is my version of this tasty dish. Still high in calories but lower in fat. Made WW friendly-7 points
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons light margarine
- 1 1/2 cups onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 1/2 tsp)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups diced tomatoes, canned, undrained
- 1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup low-fat swiss cheese, grated
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 lb penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Melt the butter in a large saute' pan, and add the onion, garlic, cumin, and coriander.
- 3Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often, or until the onion is soft.
- 4Mix in the flour, and cook the mixture over moderate heat for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 5Using a wire whisk, slowly incorporate the milk into the onion mixture until the flour and milk are blended.
- 6Bring this to a boil, lower, the heat to a simmer, and stir in the jalapeno pepper, cayenne pepper, salt, and tomatoes with their juice.
- 7Simmer for 15 minutes.
- 8Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, and Swiss cheese, blending until well mixed.
- 9Combine the sauce, cooked pasta and the chicken in a large mixing bowl.
- 10Place the sauced pasta in a 9X13-inch baking dish, sprayed with cooking spray.
- 11In a small bowl, mix the Parmesan cheese with the bread crumbs.
- 12Sprinkle the Parmesan topping over the pasta.
- 13Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the crumb topping is golden brown.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ww Spicy Mac and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (223 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.9
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 41.1 mg
- Sodium 633.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 23.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: