Recipe by CaliforniaJan
Low on calories and fat, yes, but stellar on taste and appearance (and it's loaded with good nutrition). Give this a try and you may never go back to your old version of mashed potatoes!
Top Review by breezermom
Delicious! This is the second version of cauliflower/potato mash that I've tried at food.com, and both were delicious! I changed this a bit....I threw the cauliflower in with the potatoes and garlic after about 8 minutes, then drained and mixed everything up. I also peeled and sliced the potatoes, reducing the cooking time. This made it much easier and used only one pot! For those of you who use leftovers, these reheat much faster than regular mashed potatoes. Keep that in mind for reheating the next day! Made for your Shamrock win in Photo Tag! Thanks so much for sharing.
- 3 lbs baking potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets (2 lbs)
- 1⁄2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine potatoes, garlic, and enough cold water to cover by 1 inch in a large pot. Add 1/2 teaspoons salt; cover and bring to boil. Uncover, reduce heat, and cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with tip of small knife, about 25 minute Remove pot from heat. With slotted spoon, transfer potatoes to colander; drain and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, discard all but 1 inch cooking liquid from pot and return to boil. Put cauliflower in steamer basket. Set over boiling cooking liquid. Cover tightly and steam cauliflower until very tender, about 10 minutes. Remove steamer basket from pot; discard cooking liquid.
- Remove potato skins. Working batches, press potatoes and cauliflower through potato ricer into warm pot. Stir in buttermilk, remaining 1/2 teaspoons salt, and pepper. Set pot over low heat and cook, stirring frequently, until mixture is heated through, about 3 minutes.
- If making ahead, let mixture cool completely. Transfer to large microwavable bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and chill up to one day. To serve, turn back one section of plastic wrap to vent. Microwave on High until hot, 4 - 5 minutes, stirring once halfway through microwaving time.
- Before serving, stir in chives.