Recipe by Shuzbud
This is a lovely soup, packed with veggies and flavour! The total recipe (not including milk) provides 2 Weight Watchers points.
Top Review by breezermom
I had awful luck tonight. My immersion blender quit working (actually caught on fire!), so I didn't make it a cream soup totally....did get a bit blended. My daughter has my big blender, so I was stuck with what I had. In spite of this it was delicious. I added some salt, pepper, and thyme to season it up a bit. I also added a bit of fat free half-and-half instead of the milk. So disregard my photo....it isn't what the soup is supposed to look like, but the taste was great! Thanks for sharing!
- 30 g pearl barley
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 4 sticks celery
- 1 white onion, peeled
- 500 g mushrooms, rinsed
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 cups chicken stock (I use 2 stock cubes and water)
- milk (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the pearl barley in a pan with 3 cups cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 45 minutes, checking on it often to make sure it doesn't boil dry.
- Meanwhile, chop the rest of the veggies, including the garlic.
- Drain the pearl barley, rinse and drain again.
- Put the pearl barley, veggies, garlic and chicken stock in a pan, cover and simmer for 30 minutes until all the veggies are softened.
- Blend the soup well until it is of a smooth consistency.
- This makes quite a thick soup- I like to add milk after blending but you could simply increase the amount of stock you use.