Recipe by Bruce Becker
This is a recipe sent to us from Woodstone, the makers of our pizza oven. The original recipe sent to us called for 50# of unbleached flour. We called them asnd said that often for a smaller party, we only use 20#!!. they sheepishly sent us a home recipe. This makes 4 or 5 dough balls, each making a 14-16" pizza. That adequately serves a party of 10-14 people. It is typical that many people want to make their own--so there might be a couple of disasters. People put too much stuff on their pizzas, making oven entry and exit tough.
Top Review by JAGsHunny
This is my go-to pizza crust recipe when I'm using the wood-fired grill; the crust crisps up nicely but still is tender on the inside. It's better than the crust you find in most pizza parlors.
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 5 cups unbleached flour, plus
- 2⁄3 cup unbleached flour, humidity dependent
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix water, yeast, salt and honey together until all are dissolved.
- Place into a large mixing bowl.
- Add flour.
- Mix at moderate speed for 8-10 minutes.
- The dough should form ears and the mixing bowl should be essentially dry.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, and cover with a moist dishtowel.
- Place in a warm area for about an hour, until doubled in size.
- Roll out on a floured surface, and divide into 4 or 5 balls.
- Place in a proofing tray
- If to be used immediately, let rise for another hour. If not, chill and bring our an hour before using.