Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I have not tried this recipe. I got this recipe from Food Network it's from Throwdown with Bobby Flay.
- 5 lbs bone-in pork butt (or larger)
- 1⁄4 cup bbq dry rub seasonings (homemade or store-bought bbq dry rub)
- Special equipment: Charcoal and hickory and apple wood chips soaked in water 1/2 hour prior to cooking
- Twelve hours prior to cooking, trim fat cap to 1/4-inch thickness from pork butt. Season heavily with dry rub. Place in plastic bag and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove pork from refrigerator 2 hours prior to cooking to come to room temperature.
- Prepare smoker to temperature of 210 to 220 degrees F and place 1 handful of hickory chips and 1 handful of apple chips on hot coals.
- Place pork butt in smoker and smoke for 14 to 16 hours adding 1 handful of hickory and 1 handful of apple chips every 4 hours. After 5 hours in smoker, begin spraying generously with apple juice every 2 hours.
- Pork will be done when the internal temperature reaches 185 to 190 degrees F.
- Pull or chop meat as desired and top with your favorite sauce!