This is a hearty side of root vegetables. You may add or substitute turnip, winter squash, brussel sprouts, or sweet potatoes to this. You may also top with grated sharp cheddar and/or toasted hulled pumpkin seeds (pepitas) to it.
- Heat oven to 450.
- If you used large beets, cut in halfs or quarters. Leave baby beets whole. Place beets on parchment lined foil and drizzle with 1 Tblsp olive oil.
- Wrap foil and roast until tender when pierced with knife tip, about 30 to 45 minutes for small beets, up to 1 !/2 hours for large. Don't overcook. Roast until just tender, not shriveled up.
- Let cool. Then rub skin off with paper towel or clean damp cloth.
- Roast other vegetables: Toss shallots, parsnips, and carrots in a large bowl with the remaining oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread in even layer in rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Sprinkle with rosemary.
- Roast about 30 minutes, turning once. Vegetables should be tender and golden.
- Arrange all vegetables on plate or put in casserole. Top as desired. May be made ahead and rewarmed.