Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I've been making this frosting for years. I got this recipe from a Wilton's Cake Decorating Magazine. It is the perfect consistency for decorating cakes. If adding food coloring I recommend using the paste so that it doesn't thin the frosting.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Cream butter and shortening with electric mixer.
- Add vanilla.
- Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all of the sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry.
- Add milk and beat on high speed until light and fluffy.
- To frost the cake, thin with 1 tablespoon milk if desired.
- Keep icing covered until you're ready to decorate. For best results, keep icing bowl in an air tight bowl in refrigerator when not in use.
- Can refrigerate in air tight container 1 week. Re-whip before using.