Prep 3 hrs 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Starting with a basic whole wheat bread I kept trying different things until I came up with this recipe. It's slightly sweet with a mild nutty flavor, soft, and slices well without crumbling. Use it to make sandwiches, pop it in the toaster, cover it with jelly or jam, or just enjoy it as is.
- Combine the water, molasses, and yeast, set aside to proof for 10 minutes.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together.
- Add all of the wet ingredients (including the olive oil) to the dry, and mix untill you have a shaggy dough.
- Let the dough rest, covered, for 20 minutes, then knead till fairly smooth.
- Allow the dough to rise, covered, for 2 hours, or until it's nearly doubled in bulk.
- Gently deflate the dough, shape it into a log, and place it in a lightly greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch bread pan.
- Cover the pan with and allow it to rise for about 1 hour, till it's crowned about 1 inch over the rim of the pan.
- Bake the bread in a preheated 350°F oven for 25 minutes.
- Tent it lightly with aluminum foil and bake for another 20 minutes.