Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I used an old family recipe for banana bread, and substituted main items for healthier ones.
- 4 mashed bananas
- 1 cup Splenda granular, sugar substitute
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄3 Smart Balance butter spread, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium mixing bowl, mix together mashed bananas and splenda.
- Beat egg white, then add to banana mixture.
- In seperate mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder & soda, salt and nutmeg together.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into banana mixture, mixing thoroughly.
- In small mixing bowl, mix melted spread, vanilla, and nuts (if adding), then add into mixture.
- Pour mixture into a greased and floured 9"X5" loaf pan and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
This was a delicious moist bread. My first time baking with splenda and it functioned and tasted as good as cane sugar. This bread tasted as good as any banana bread I have ever had. It is more cakey than breadlike.