4 hrs 20 mins
On a recent trip home mom's neighbor served this for the vesper meal. I begged for two weeks and here it is.
My Private Note
large c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package instant yeast
- 1 3/4 cups milk, heated (120 F - 130 F)
- 1 egg, room temp
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup bread flour or 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup coarsely ground hazelnuts
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 -2 teaspoon butter, unsalted
- 1/4 cup skinned almonds
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- confectioners' sugar
- 1Soak raisins in water or rum for 15 min, drain and pat dry.
- 2In large bowl mix well 2 cups of the whole wheat flour, sugar, salt and yeast.
- 3Add hot milk and blend well.
- 4Add egg and butter, beat rapidly with wooden spoon 40 to 50 strokes.
- 5Add nuts and raisins, blend.
- 6Add the remaining whole wheat flour and 1/4 cup white flour, mix well to be sure all the whole wheat flour is well mixed in.
- 7Knead dough for about 8 minutes, incorporating the remaining white flour (whole wheat is stickier than white flour, if you have to use up to 1/8 cup extra white flour it should not affect the flavor).
- 8It helps if you have dough blade or broad putty knife to keep the kneading surface clean of filming.
- 9The dough should be smooth and elastic.
- 10Clean your mixing bowl and grease.
- 11Turn dough into bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temp until double (1 1/2- 2 hrs).
- 12Remove plastic wrap, punch dough down and turn over in bowl.
- 13Cover back up with plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes.
- 14Butter pan with the 2 tsp butter.
- 15Evenly distribute the whole almonds in the center of the gugelhupf pan and the sliced almonds up the outside of the pan.
- 16Shape dough in an roll long enough to fit into the pan, or roll into a round about the size of the pan and remove the center to fit over the center opening of the pan.
- 17Put the dough into the pan and press down with your fingers.
- 18Cover the pan with a towel or wax paper and let rise till dough doubles or reaches the rim of the form, about 1 hour.
- 19Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 20Bake for 50 minute.
- 21Place cake in the center of the oven, turn cake about halfways (25 min) through the to get even heating and browning.
- 22Test cake with a cake tester or metal skewer, should come out clean.
- 23If particles remain on tester return to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- 24Remove from oven and turn out of pan, if the crust is not golden brown return cake without pan to oven and bake another 5 to 8 minute.
- 25Place on cooking rack to cool.
- 26After cake is completely cooled sift confectioners sugar over it.
- 27Serve (with butter).
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Wheat Gugelhupf
Serving Size: 1 (1185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3221.0
- Calories from Fat 1160
- Total Fat 128.9 g
- Saturated Fat 35.1 g
- Cholesterol 342.4 mg
- Sodium 2801.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 449.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 64.3 g
- Sugars 90.0 g
- Protein 107.8 g