Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
On a recent trip home mom's neighbor served this for the vesper meal. I begged for two weeks and here it is.
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package instant yeast
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk, heated (120 F - 130 F)
- 1 egg, room temp
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup bread flour or 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely ground hazelnuts
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1 -2 teaspoon butter, unsalted
- 1⁄4 cup skinned almonds
- 3⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- confectioners' sugar
- Soak raisins in water or rum for 15 min, drain and pat dry.
- In large bowl mix well 2 cups of the whole wheat flour, sugar, salt and yeast.
- Add hot milk and blend well.
- Add egg and butter, beat rapidly with wooden spoon 40 to 50 strokes.
- Add nuts and raisins, blend.
- Add the remaining whole wheat flour and 1/4 cup white flour, mix well to be sure all the whole wheat flour is well mixed in.
- Knead dough for about 8 minutes, incorporating the remaining white flour (whole wheat is stickier than white flour, if you have to use up to 1/8 cup extra white flour it should not affect the flavor).
- It helps if you have dough blade or broad putty knife to keep the kneading surface clean of filming.
- The dough should be smooth and elastic.
- Clean your mixing bowl and grease.
- Turn dough into bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temp until double (1 1/2- 2 hrs).
- Remove plastic wrap, punch dough down and turn over in bowl.
- Cover back up with plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Butter pan with the 2 tsp butter.
- Evenly distribute the whole almonds in the center of the gugelhupf pan and the sliced almonds up the outside of the pan.
- Shape dough in an roll long enough to fit into the pan, or roll into a round about the size of the pan and remove the center to fit over the center opening of the pan.
- Put the dough into the pan and press down with your fingers.
- Cover the pan with a towel or wax paper and let rise till dough doubles or reaches the rim of the form, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake for 50 minute.
- Place cake in the center of the oven, turn cake about halfways (25 min) through the to get even heating and browning.
- Test cake with a cake tester or metal skewer, should come out clean.
- If particles remain on tester return to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn out of pan, if the crust is not golden brown return cake without pan to oven and bake another 5 to 8 minute.
- Place on cooking rack to cool.
- After cake is completely cooled sift confectioners sugar over it.
- Serve (with butter).