Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
A salad with an Asian/Indian flavor, recipe not yet tried
- 1 large head savoy cabbage
- 4 carrots, shredded
- 2 hot green chili peppers, minced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander or 2 tablespoons dill
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons ghee or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- salt and pepper
- Slice off the base of the cabbage so it stands flat on its own. Slice off the top third of the cabbage and cut around the edge, leaving a 1 inch border. Hollow out the center and shred enough of it to equal the amount of carrots.
- Combine the carrots, cabbage, chilies, ginger, fresh herbs, salt and pepper in a large bowl and toss to mix.
- IN another bowl combine the yogurt and cream. Stirring constantly, slowly pour in the lime juice. Whisk until creamy, them pour over the slaw.
- Place the ghee in a small pan over moderate heat. When it is hot but not smoking add the black mustard seeds and fry until they sputter. Pour this over the salad and toss well. Spoon the mixture into the cabbage shell. Serve at room temperature or chill.