Recipe by Sisty Gin
This moist and tender 100% whole wheat bread features the nutty taste of both the wheat itself and walnuts. It's great for sandwiches, or try it toasted and spread with jam or apple butter at breakfast. YUM!
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 1⁄3 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour (King Arthur)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- MIXING - Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Mix and knead until the dough is smooth. Cover the bowl and allow the dough to rise for 1 to 2 hours until it's doubled in bulk.
- SHAPING - Shape the dough into an 8-inch log and place it in a lightly greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan. Cover it loosely with plastic wrap and allow it to rise until it crests about 1 inch over the rim of the pan.
- BAKING - Remove the plastic wrap and bake the bread in a preheated 350*F oven for 35 to 40 minutes until it's golden brown. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center will register 190*F. Remove it from the oven and turn it out of the pan to cool on a rack.