Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 ounce butter
- 6 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Scotch whisky
- 1 dash English mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg white, stiffly beaten
- Melt 1 oz of butter in a saucepan and add 6 oz of grated, mature Cheddar cheese, 1 tablespoon of Scotch whisky, a dash of English mustard and a seasoning of salt and pepper.
- Stir over a low heat until the mixture has melted and is smooth.
- **Do not overheat or the cheese becomes oily**.
- Draw off the heat and stir in 1 egg yolk. Using a metal spoon fold in the egg white stiffly beaten.
- Spoon over four slices of hot toast. Place under the grill and the rarebit mixture will puff up and brown beautifully.