Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Bon Appetit June 1996. Eating this salsa is akin to a cleansing ritual, no matter how you look at it and in whichever manner that may be.
- 3 -4 fresh green jalapeno chiles
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, minced finely
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Roast the jalapenos either by charring the chilies over an open flame or broiling them until blackened on all sides. Place chilies in a paper bag and seal. Let sweat for 15 minutes.
- Peel, seed (and devein if desired) the chilies; mince finely.
- In a small, non-reacitive bowl combine the chilies with the olive oil and fresh cilantro. Stir in the lime juice.
- Season with salt and pepper. Cover salsa and let stand at room temperature.
- Can be prepared up to 6 hours in advance. Use sparingly.
- The United States' Government has declared this salsa a weapon of mass destruction.
My wife says I burned my brains out years ago anyway, so this is for me !
This recipe didn't turn out for me at all. I guess my peppers were too mild or something, but it had no heat at all and the oil was overwhelming. I had fun giving it a try though.
Wow! This salsa is not for sissies. My eyes were tearing when I was eating this (with chips)but I loved every minute of it. Dh topped some chicken with it and really liked it too. Yes, this has a lot of heat but also has great flavor. Part fresh with the lime and cilantro, and part deep kinda smokey from the roasted jalapenos. I made mine lower fat and used only 1T oil and added a touch more lime juice. This will be made often, with one exception- I have to double the recipe next time! Thanks, Cookgirl!