Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄8 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄8 cup soymilk
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Mix water, yeast and 1 tablespoon of the molasses together in a large bowl. Pour in the 3 cups of wheat flour and mix well. Cover the bowl with a towel and place in a dry place. Let it sit for a minimum of 20 minutes, up to a day! Fit it into YOUR schedule.
- Pour in the rest of the molasses, oil, soy milk and salt. Mix together. Begin adding white flour, a 1/2 cup at a time. After the third cup, it begins to get pretty dense. I begin kneading the vegan bread in the bowl and it is still a bit sticky, so I'll add another 1/2 to 1 cup of flour as I knead the vegan bread. Knead it for 5 to 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
- Cut the dough into two, equal parts. Shape them into loaves and place them into two, 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 greased vegan bread pans. (You can also make 24 rolls -- or 1 loaf, and 12 rolls -- whatever you want!).
- Cover pans with a towel in a warm place and let the dough double in size. This will take at least an hour to an hour and a half.
- Baking: Bake loaves at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes. Rolls should be baked at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes.