Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Who cares what the correct name is- Welsh Rabbit or Welsh Rarebit? The recipe is that of my landlady in London while I was a student there (a long time ago)
- Melt butter in a saucepan.
- Add cheese, mustard and hot sauce.
- Heat mixture while stirring until cheese melts.
- Add ale and keep on heating until liquid is nearly evaporated, stirring continuously.
- Stir in beaten egg and let harden.
- Serve immediately on toasted bread slices.
- Garnish with tomato.
Your landlady knew how to make this one! "Rabbit" or "Rarebit", English Ale or a Canadian beer ... its simple, tasty, and PERFECT on a cold evening.