Prep 7 mins
Cook 40 mins
From WW Weekly Jan 27-Feb 2 2013 Posting here so its not lost 4 points per serving
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, divided
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 340 g pineapple slices in juice, canned, 1/4 cup pineapple juice reserved
- 1 large egg
- 250 ml vanilla cake mix
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in 9 inch round, flameproof, aluminum pan over medium low heat (make sure to cover entire bottom of pan).
- Sprinkle sugar over top.
- Carefully place pineapple rings in a single layer in bottom of pan.
- Increase heat to medium - high and cook until pineapple caramelizes, flipping once, about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Melt remaining 2 tbsp butter on stove top or in microwave.
- In a medium size mixing bowl beat egg with remaining melted butter,.
- Add cake mix and reserved pineapple juice. Combine well.
- Pour batter over pineapple.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- When still warm loosen sides with a knife and invert cake onto a serving plate.
- Slice into 10 pieces and serve.
- Yields 1 slice per serving.
This came out ok, at 30 minutes the cake was definitely done, perhaps 25-28 minutes would have been better. The cake was dry and the topping almost too sweet. Neither I nor DH wanted to have more after the first piece. I don't think I'd make this again. Edit: Apparently this is much better the next day. So I upgrade to 3 stars.